Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Should I use baby oil (mineral oil with fragrance) to oil my cutting board?

How much should I put on a 24'; square board. Where could I buy mineral oil with no fragrance, if that is what I need? I know not to use food oils like olive and canola, because they go rancid, but don't want a perfumed dinner.Should I use baby oil (mineral oil with fragrance) to oil my cutting board?
Absolutely NOT!


The food which you cut on the cutting board will accept the oil and stink.


I always rub my wooden salad bowls with olive oil and cutting boards with regular vegetable oil.Should I use baby oil (mineral oil with fragrance) to oil my cutting board?
Oil is unecessary. Each time you use the board, wash it and dry it and set it out in the sun to bleach it. You need do nothing else.
I believe you can buy food grade oils made just for cutting boards. Check out a restaurant supply store.
No, use lemon oil that is made for feeding wood. Baby oil is a real NO NO! Do not use vegy oil...nasty smell within days. You will find lemon oil at the hardware store...makes a great smell, does not flavor food, and keeps the wood in good shape.
buy a new one, oil will only make it look better
Oil does not go rancid .I use veggie oil on all my boards. As did my mom her mom her mom her mom etc down the line and so does every one I know. Wash it then get out the veggie oil and a paper towel, dont let it dry out as it will start to crack and warp..
Definately do not use baby oil, you shouldn't ingest it, it could make you sick. What you need is called an oil product specifically made for wooden items that are used for foods (like wodden salad bowls and butcher blocks). You can find them in the housewares department of hardware stores or a good kitchen supply store. Look where they sell the wooden items, the oil should be kept near them. You can also buy plain mineral oil in a pharmacy, but I prefer the Salad Bowl Oil.
NO NO NO, don't use baby oil. Plan mineral oil can be found at the drugstore, you may need to ask for it but it's there!
If it just stained, use lemon juice on it. If it getting nicks and rough spots, sand it smooth. If either of these is not an option buy a new one. Don't put oil on your cutting boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment