Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How do you make fragrance oils from flowers?

I have a bunch of wonderful dried lavendar and I want to make frangrance oils to use in my soaps and lotions with it. I just don't know how to make the oils. Thank you in advance for your help :)How do you make fragrance oils from flowers?
Hi, I am not sure if this will help but here goes... you can make heat-infused oils, which is done by simmering the herb in oil, olive oil, sunflower, almond, or other pure veg oil, useful for massage with cayenne, or hot spices etc... or a cold-infused oil, which extracts the active principle in flowers, olive oil is a good choice because it doesn't go rancid, I use lavender with the cold one, I put whatever I have dried herb, say 8 oz., or double that if it is fresh and I soak it in about 3 cups of oil, put them into a jar with a tight lid and shake well, put the jar in a warm sunny location and leave it for about six weeks, give it an occasional shake, I also sort of smash up the herbs abit, it infuses quicker, mortar and pestle works great,, when you have noticed that it has a much darker colour, put a jelly bag into a clean large jar, and wring out the bag to squeeze out the oils, put the oil into a sterilized jar, with a tight lid, and preferably a dark jar, if you want it stronger, do it again, but use the infused oils, and new herbs. It's nice, I grow a lavender plant, and use it and others I have in my herb garden, that I have grown on a balcony, I have a nice recipe for a skin lotion that is very nice, I make a very strong herbal tea, with lavender, or chamomile and use anywhere from 1/2 to a cup of glycerine and wisk them until they are creamy and smooth. Have lots of fun with it, I hope I have helped even a tiny bit.How do you make fragrance oils from flowers?
Wonderful, I am glad it has helped. Thankyou for the vote. Take care. Report Abuse

Unless you have acres of lavender planted you might want to forget about that project. You need a LOT of any herb to distill the oil.





Try using orris root as a stabilizer for the fragrance of your lavender (it also is a pleasant companion fragrance to lavender.) Just add that mix to your candles or soaps. Have fun and experiment!





You could also find bulk lavender online. No guarantee it will be fresh. You would still need to distill it. Check out the Foxfire books on how to make one of those!
Assuming you do not want to make essential oils....as the above lady said...about needing acres....I would take a clean jar with a lid and add your favorite carrier oil and fill jar up to a point...add any flowers you want and let this stew for months on a ledge...every time you walk by the jar shake it and shake it....After months strain the flowers out of the oil and add to whatever you wish...

No comments:

Post a Comment